Ten Ways to be Thankful Today
Friday, 5 February 2016
What is there to be thankful for? The world economy is down. There is war in the Middle East. Poverty is on the rise. Children have to live unfed. Many good people are afflicted with horrible diseases every day and we are killing the planet we live on.
But look at the simple things in life.
You do not have to turn your focus onto all that is bad in the world, but focus on the good that is all around you.
Here are ten ways to turn that focus from only unhappiness to a heart that feels blessed and thankful.
1. Close your eyes. Visualize your favorite person. And give thanks that they are in your life.
2. Look around you and name 3 things you have: Shoes, mittens, glasses, a bed to sleep in, food to eat today. And give thanks for your many blessings.
3. Name on thing you are looking forward to tomorrow. And give thanks for anticipation.
4. How many times did you receive a smile today? And give thanks for joy.
5. Find a notebook and write down the best thing that happened to you today. And give thanks for life.
6. Next time you get to eat say a prayer for everyone who is hungry. And give thanks for all that has been given to you.
7. Look at nature around you. Identify one thing you find particularly interesting or beautiful. Give thanks for Creation.
8. Complete one act of kindness and give thanks for the ability to give.
9. Read or tell a story to a child. Give thanks for all children. 10. At the end of the day take a deep breath and relax. Give thanks for the opportunity to rest.
Those simple everyday things are blessing from God. He gives them to us because He loves and cares for us. Try looking at all the good going on in your life and know you are blessed. By focusing on God and all the ways He makes Himself known to us, the sun comes out and warms you. You will find more and more things to be thankful about.