5 Common Sense Weight Loss Tips
Wednesday, 1 June 2016
Beginning the process of any weight loss initiative can be intimidating and sometimes downright discouraging. But not every method has to be expensive or painful! By implementing a few simple techniques, you can get started on your journey to lose weight, begin seeing results, and start living a healthy lifestyle!
1. Eat slowly – being a foodie myself, I understand the struggle of wanting to scarf down a meal as soon as you get it. However, by taking your time and eating slower, you will not only enjoy the meal more, but you’ll actually be able to tell once you start feeling full.
2. Stop eating before you feel full – don’t feel obligated to be part of the "clean plate club"! Just because the food is there doesn’t mean you have to eat it. It takes about 20 minutes after eating to feel full, so by putting down your fork earlier, you can avoid that too-sick-to-function-get-me-to-a-bed sensation.
3. Keep hydrated – it may not taste quite as good as that latte, but water is the most important fluid to drink, with most studies recommending six to eight glasses a day. Not only is water important for internal health, but it can also be used to combat hunger pains - try drinking a glass of water instead of reaching for the chips next time you feel hungry, and see how you feel!
4. Avoid temptation – this is probably the easiest tip in theory, yet the hardest to implement. When you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle, temptations are EVERYWHERE – grocery store checkout lines, break rooms, happy hours – and it’s important to make sure you are keeping your eyes on your weight loss prize. Allowing yourself a cheat day here and there is fine, but make sure you are also utilizing self-control methods such as going to the grocery store with a set list to make sure you stay on track.
5. Exercise – even if you are eating healthy, you still need to make sure that you exercise! The key here is to find an exercise routine that works for YOU. Not everyone can get on the treadmill for 45 minutes every day - myself included – but luckily there are endless possibilities when it comes to working out. Keeping an open mind will allow you to find a fitness program that works specifically for you.
The start of a weight loss challenge is always the hardest, but hopefully these tips can help jumpstart your program and get you on the right track! Believe in yourself and take it one day at a time and you’ll be well on your way to your goal.